Pageviews last month

Sunday, July 27, 2014

Half Marathon Training in the Heat

I was going to call this post "The Day I almost Killed My Husband" but I have post-run photographic proof that he made it to the bar for lunch and a well earned beer.
He looks pretty happy for a dead guy doesn't he?  That being said my first half marathon training run was not an overwhelming success today.  First we were running somewhere I love to run the Atlanta Beltline and Piedmont Park, but I forgot there  is little to no shade for the entire run.  Also we got out the door way too late. Note to self "that cup of coffee was not worth it."  It was almost 11 AM and the heat index was already over 90 when we started, higher than that when we finally called it at 5.5 miles.  Or as my husband said filling out his DailyMile, " I am just going to say 100 degrees.  Oh yeah, and that my wife tried to kill me today."  I don't think a five and a half mile run on the sun is technically a method of attempted homicide, but who am I to deprive him of his dramatic flair.

It was a tough run.  I think several things, including the weather, conspired against us:  brought no water, there are stops on the route but not enough, I was running too fast for conditions, and no shade.  I should have been about 2 minutes slower than an average run that should have been over 11 min/mile.  I did not get there until the end, when just so he knows, I also thought I was going to die.  I knew I was dehydrated and we were both over heating.  We finally just called it and walked the last 1/4  mile back to the car.  I was planning over 6 to at least 7, except you probably would not be reading this because I would probably just be getting out of the ER. It was a tough run.  Shows how little heat conditioning I have been doing.  My next long run will take place much earlier in the day and on a shadier route.

At least we know how to wrap up our misery in style!  We headed right out to the rooftop bar at Six Feet Under a local eatery.  Fried Green Tomatoes, the ATL skyline backdrop, a Belgian Beer for me, and Amber Ale for the hubby, and a yummy lunch and we were ready to wrap up the last day of hubby's summer vacay.  Back to work for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment