Pageviews last month

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Can I do this or Am I crazy?

So there comes a point when you are streaking, and I still am streaking, entering a full 30 days of running everyday and adding some serious gym strength training...yeah I am bad.  Back to my point, where you lose perspective or shall I say gain a skewed perspective.  One that is something like, "If I am doing this; clearly I can do anything."  So while I am still in the glow of delusion brought on by tired legs and nagging abs, I am thinking of registering for not just my next half but my next two halves.  They are only two weeks apart. 

I am thinking of doing these two for very logical reasons, stick with me if you stopped reading after 2 halves. I have some very sound, almost engineer like, reasoning.  The race on October 25, 2014, is the Silver Comet Half.  I live off Silver Comet so I already anticipate less travel hassles than the Soldiers Half in Columbus, GA.  See nothing gets past me!  It is home turf, flat and I am hoping if I stay healthy and train hard it will be the half where I get my 2 hour time, missed by 59 seconds in Columbus.  That race makes a lot of sense.  I think you can see my reasoning. 

The second race is the Alien 13.1 in wait for it...Roswell, GA get it?  I want to do this race because it is still in metro Atlanta.  Still no travel, but it has a key component that ties back to my New Year's Resolution to push outside my boundaries.  The Alien takes place at 5:30 PM on November 8, 2014.  If you have ever read the blog then you will know I run at 4 AM normally.  Not because I am some crazy sadist, well maybe a little.  Ask me tomorrow when my alarm goes off, but because I am a morning person.  Yes one of those...bouncing into work greeting the day and dazed co-workers with  a sunny "Morning! how are you?" Complete with animated Snow White bluebirds on my shoulder. Now stop by my office after 3PM  and you are likely to meet my favorite dwarf, Grumpy.  If I had a poster like Garfield it would say "I Don't Do Afternoons."  The idea of running 13.1 miles at 5:30PM and still be running after 7 PM seems like someone just asked me to qualify for Boston. 

I am thinking I can do my goal race and run Alien just to survive.  No time goals.  Just experience the course and the atmosphere.  If I complete it without an ambulance being involved I will have stretched my boundaries so much that that may never look the same.  So I guess I am wondering am I crazy to target 2 halves 2 weeks apart?  Is my thinking reasonable? Now remember judge reasonable by the standards of a woman who gets up to run at 4 AM everyday.   So don't get too wrapped up in reason or sanity.

Today I am grateful for beautiful weather and a healthy body!

4 comments:

  1. wow! 2 halves!! I am still gearing up to run my first ever half at the end of this year. I often run 10kms every weekend but I am guessing 21km is a bit different? I say, you know you best, so if you feel you can do it, then why not? Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Meg. I enjoy the distance so I am thinking if I just run the second one for fun it will work out. I can always walk some on the second if I need a break.

      Delete
  2. lol... I think it makes sense but what do I know, I haven't done my first half yet :) Seriously, if you know you can run the second one at a gentle pace to just enjoy it and not worry about "racing," I think it sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I think that is what I will do. I have a friend who runs a much slower pace running the second I may ask to run with her.

      Delete