Pageviews last month

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Week In Review

So true, but this week was probably close to that except for the running all day part.  Sorry I was a blogging slacker this week, that's the epic fail part of the week.  But in breaking news, I managed to keep two current goals and work on one New Year's resolution. All this while traveling for a leadership retreat for a professional organization I volunteer with regularly.
So big news the streak continues.  In spite of nights spent having a little more fun than usual, who am I kidding?  A lot more fun than usual.  Not a surprise to regular readers I am not know for my carefree, wild side.  Definitely evenings that involved a lot more drinking, not drunk drinking, but more than my one glass of red with dinner.  I still managed to get my run in each day.  Admittedly, the overall mileage was less. We will consider that a break for the legs.  I also made the most of my gym membership and made it there Sunday, Tuesday, Friday, and was back today for full body strength training.  I have missed the gym; I have been excited to get back and even though it has only been a short while I can feel the benefit during my runs. I especially feel the core and it is really helping my running.  Not only that, if I keep up the gym and running I will look great at the family wedding coming up in July.  We have not seen his family in 5 years so it would be nice to go back looking like I have been working out. 

The resolution I worked on was stepping outside of my comfort zone.  I am actually pretty quiet and shy in my personal life.  My job is pretty out front and I do speak in public for a living, but I am actually pretty introverted. I enjoy exercising alone, hanging with my husband and cats, reading, and writing.  Normally when I travel for work I am so ready to go hibernate in my room, but because this was a retreat to build relationships and plan for the future of the organization I fought my instinct to dash off to my room right after dinner.  I hung out and enjoyed the companionship of my friends and colleagues.  Then on Thursday night I took a giant leap outside of my comfort zone: Karaoke.  This may not seem like a big deal to you, but I not only am I not known to be wild, I am known as super reserved.  I thought I was going to pass out when one of the girls leaned over and said "we are almost up all of us are going to do 'Girls Just Wanna Have Fun.'" 

"Excuse me all of who?"  I asked thinking I would immediately need another glass of wine.

"All off us, the girls." 

"No" 

"Yes you are going to do it." She reassured me.

I don't know if it was the extra glass of wine, the comfort of my 7 friends, or the thought in the back of my mind, that 2014 was supposed to be about me getting out of my comfort zone.  I got up there and we actually did "wanna have fun" and I think we succeeded.  Suffice to say there was a breakfast the next morning where our male counterparts kept making the 'rock on' sign and apparently there is a video floating around somewhere.  There are also a couple of fun memories that I would not have if I did not stay out with my friends past my written in stone bedtime. 

Today I am grateful for opportunities to stretch myself.  It seems they are everywhere.  Just need to stay open.

Have you ever done anything against type or outside your normal boundaries?

No comments:

Post a Comment