Pageviews last month

Thursday, September 12, 2013

Rest Days...Taking a Break

Today was a rest day for me.  My legs and body felt fine, but work has been crazy and my days have been long.  Next week I am working late everyday.  I just needed a day to sleep in and I don't know not have to get up to run.  Just a day off.  I did find I missed my run.  It is what usually centers me and my day, but I also felt like I will enjoy it more tomorrow if I took a rest today.  My goal for September was to run 6 days a week so so far so good. 

I also hoped by taking a rest day today I will be more ready for a long run this weekend.  My half is two month out.  Time to kick up the training.  The forecast for this weekend is for cooler sunny weather.  I can't wait.  Now I just have to convince hubby that he really wants to run 8 or 9 miles this weekend.  I might have a chance he has been doing a few shorter runs this week.  Keep your fingers crossed.

I do notice I used to take rest days because my body could not handle the running.  Now my rest days are more for me to mentally recharge.  I guess that means over all I am a stronger runner.  Also I have been able to add back in a few more planks.  Not back to everyday but have gotten 3 in this week so far.  I can already tell the difference with adding them back. 

How can you tell you need a rest day? 

1 comment:

  1. Here's how I do it: if I think I need a rest day, then I need one.

    I think in general, runners undervalue time off. Bodies need time to repair and regenerate. Proper rest does make us stronger in the long run.

    That said...I understand your feelings. Last weekend I completed my first 50-mile ultra, and all this week my training schedule says, "Day Off". I know I need it, but it still feels like goofing off. So I'm riding my bike instead.

    ReplyDelete