Pageviews last month

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

From No Way to Speed Play

I am not sure that worked this morning.  It was one of those days where you look over and your pretty sure your alarm clock says time to get up, but you can't quite convince yourself to do that.  I also know how much I suck at running after work and today I had to work late and hubby and I wanted to go to our favorite weekly guilty pleasure, Food Truck Tuesday.  I mean if you can't indulge every now and then why am I getting up at 4:20 everyday to run.  Maybe it was because I had not been sleeping well.  My shoulder had been killing me and there is nothing to help a sore shoulder like a parade of 6 giant cats standing on it and stepping over it all night.  I am not sure how many times I had to stop myself from flinging an unsuspecting kitty off the bed and waking hubby with a whole bunch of expletives.

Anyway I decided to bite the bullet. Let's face it the options were just suck it up and run or let my little diabolic masseuses actually rip my arm out of the socket.  I got dressed, did my usual pre-run household stuff.  Further proof I was not in it today was how behind schedule I was.  May not seem like a big deal, but I promise you ask anyone who really knows me, especially hubby, and he will tell you I run my life try unsuccessfully to run his with military precision.  General Patton looks positively spontaneous next to me.  So being nearly 10 minutes behind already felt like my world spinning on the edge of out of control.  Out I went.  I just thought turn up the music, find a groove, get it done.

Funny thing, when you are looking for ways to amuse yourself (or convince yourself that being up this early running is not insane) you might actually amuse yourself.  I was feeling pretty good, even my shoulder seemed to hurt less.  I decided I would play around with Fartleks.  Sprint from this corner to that stop sign, etc.  It was surprisingly fun and even when I wasn't sprinting there was a net effect that slowing down from the sprint still meant an overall faster pace.  From not wanting to get out the door to speed work.  I would say that is almost spontaneous.

What do you do to get  in the running mood if you're not feeling it?

No comments:

Post a Comment