Saturday, August 10, 2013
What We Give Up for Running
1) Sleeping in on the weekends. I have definitely let this go. Whether we have a race or not we still have to get our run in, so up and on with our day we go.
2) Immaculate toes. I wear open toe shoes, and I have always painted my nails but I have to say I don't touch up during the week and running gives them that lived in look. I don't think nail salons are going to start using the inside of a running shoe to polish up a pedicure anytime soon.
3) A normal reaction when someone says what are you doing this weekend? Just watch their faces when your answer always start with..."I have a race, we are doing our long run, we are going to the track to practice." They would look at me differently if I just said "you know, just going to the mall."
4) Choosing a hotel for the pool. I think we all know it is about the treadmill or proximity to a park or sidewalk.
5) I will never again not know the word Fartlek.
6) Being able to say with 100% certainty I would not run (in rain, snow, freezing weather, extreme heat, or the dark, that late, that early, etc.)
7) Peace of mind when you wake up with a sore knee just thinking it will be a little inconvenience but certainly won't alter my day and no worries like "this is going to cost me the $70.00 entry fee into next months race because this is the end of running as I know it."
8) The blissful ignorance of things like PF, and ITB injuries, and KT Tape.
9) Going out to party all night carefree no need to worry that it will seriously impact the speed work you had planned for tomorrow.
10) Staying up late. I may be focused, but I am not a super hero. If you are going to run at 4:30 AM you better make a serious effort to get bed on time. I can't wait to fall back. Maybe it will be dark when I go to bed. I miss that.
I am sure you have given things up for your love of running. Love to hear about your favorites.