Pageviews last month

Friday, July 19, 2013

Fitness Friday

This was a busy week, with being out of town and all my conference duties but it was pretty exciting too.  The beginning of the week meant early morning treadmill runs at the hotel.  When I came back to Atlanta a friend from Dailymile was in town.  We arrange to meet at the Panera Bread across from where I live and ran around my neighborhood.  It was so cool to get to run with a friend that supports me and that I support virtually.  He was exactly like I always thought he would be when we communicate through Dailymile.  We did an easy 4 miles so we could visit.

Today hubby and I decided to take advantage of the beautiful, but hot weather and head out to the Big Creek Greenway.  Today we had company, a mommy deer and her fawn.  It was so cool.  I had to stop and take a picture.  Since we came all the way out to the Greenway, and rain is expected back in the area for the weekend (what a nice change of pace...NOT) we did 6 miles and just kind of took our time.  

Yesterday one of the running stores we frequent, Natural Strides, posted on Facebook and sent an electronic mailing that they were holding a back room sale.  All the merchandise in the back room would be 75% off on Friday and Saturday.  Since I had taken the end of the week off after the conference, we decided to check out the sale before everything was picked over. We love Natural Strides because they specialize in minimal footwear and that is all we wear.  Also a bonus for me, they are the only local store that actually carries in stock women's running shoes in sizes 5 and 6.  I can actually buy off the rack.  Love that!  

Of course I was a little scared going because both of us going to a running store with a huge sale is a little kid in the candy store.  I am happy to report we both held to just one pair of shoes each and I had to get some orange GU Brew.  I almost fell out when the guy at the store said, "okay with your $10 loyalty discount it is $49.12."  I was this close to saying are you sure?  We got shoes, good shoes, for less than $25/pair.  Hubby bought a second pair of the Altra Ones and I bought my first pair of Altras, the Intuition.  I am so excited to wear them for a test run tomorrow.  They are both zero drop, because that is what we wear most of the time. I have 3mm drop NB 730 and a 4mm drop Skecher Go Run for recovery.  I am excited because these Altras may be my new half marathon shoe.  I am still deciding about the Merrell Bare Access.  The only problem with the Merrell is they are a little narrow and when my feet swell on a longer run I want to be comfortable, the Altra is very roomy.  

All in all I got in more running than expected and I manged to continue my plank a day.  I got to work hard and have a little downtime.  Who doesn't love deer and new shoes?  What was the highlight of your week?


2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great running week! How cool you got to meet a virtual friend! I'd love to meet a fellow running blogger in person! So jealous of the deal you found on running shoes! That's awesome! I over pronate and struggle with the minimal shoes, but I have friends who love them. Good job keeping at it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. It was really cool to meet him and well worth getting up at 5:30 on my first day back in town.

      Delete