Pageviews last month

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Being Aware

Today I was running my normal route and I got to where I usually cross the street and turn around and I saw a guy in a big black coat, it was 60 degrees out this AM, by the way.  I had never seen him before.  I run before the sun is up.  He wasn't exercising and it didn't appear he was headed anywhere.  He was just standing in front of the row of shops there.  

Instantly I decided not to cross the street to my usual turn around.  I just smiled and turned around and carefully unhooked the pepper spray I always have on my belt and remembered what my husband always tells me "you should run as fast as you can."  Also grateful that my husband made me practice using my pepper spray. The guy never moved or attempted to cross the street.  He never did anything outwardly threatening.  He was just dressed inappropriately for the weather, standing on the sidewalk at 4:45 AM.  For me that was enough.  All my heightened, lone girl running instincts perked up.  My run ended up being an unexpected tempo run but I was safe and made it home. 

I run this route, because regardless of the time of day there is a constant stream of traffic.  Today was no different.  It was a good reminder to stay alert, not to forget my pepper spray, and to listen to my instinct.  This guy may just have been lost, might have been trying to find the bus, or any number of perfectly innocent things.  I got a bad vibe and I listened to it.  Extra caution is an important companion when women run alone. Stay safe everyone and listen to your gut.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN! Glad you are safe. I have to get some pepper spray.

    ReplyDelete